The flavor of the spices is amazing. If you like a bit of sharp taste, use rum instead of vanilla. Using cloves is a nice touch too you can use cloves if you don’t have cardamom. This recipe can be a used for breakfast bars too. Gently pressed them into a pan to make bars, baking for about 20 min and cut them to bars.
Spicy Raisin Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, butter flavored shortening, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Stir in the oats and raisins. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake. Let them cool for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to cool completely. Store in airtight container. Make sure you get some, because they don’t last long!
Grind the cinnamon and cloves (especially the cloves) FRESH just before you mix them in You can smell the cookies from the distance, It feels like Christmas in Town,
Recipe by Beth Sigworth